Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Screamin' Meanies

Have you ever been complemented for something, and it left you wondering if you had something wrong with you before they said it? I had someone tell me how much better I look now, with the exercising and all, than before I started it. We were in the gym and I was doing some weight training and a very nice person started talking to me and said that. They commented on how they could tell that I had lost weight because of the look of my back, there was less fat, I guess. Then they told me how much better I looked because I have color in my cheeks (I was red and sweaty from exercising) and a happy look in my eye. Now, I know it was meant nicely, but it sure made me wonder if I looked pale, unhappy AND overweight all the time! I think it's great that they noticed what little weight I've lost. 7 lbs. in two months is nothing to get too excited about, but I know I have toned up a little and it is starting to show if you look real hard! I just wonder now what kind of impression I really leave on people. It sure did make me think. I hope I don't come over as an un-happy person. I also hope that my size is not something that stops people from getting to know me. I know one thing... I will be very careful how I word my comments to others, I would never want them to re-think what I said and then think that I said it rudely! Those screamin' meanies in my head did a number on me, and I have to learn to ignore the thoughts that made me wonder about myself, but more than that, I need to make sure that I don't do that to anyone else!

4 comments:

Allyson said...

Oh my goodness! I've totally felt the same way all the time...people will ask me if I've lost weight and I immediately say to myself "you were obese before"! BUT, I've analyzed it and figured out that it's just a better change than what you were...not that you weren't beautiful and wonderful BEFORE they made the comment:). I haven't seen you lately...but I like you before, after, and in between:)

gina said...

I hve heard this alot lately as well. It seems that your moods have alot to do with how other people react to you. If I'm grumpy, I usually don't get any comments from anyone. But if I dress up and feel better about myself, I get comments like "did you do something different with your hair?" Uh, Yeah, I actually combed it today!!! It's not in the standard "lunch-lady bun!"

Grandma Duffy said...

We all just stick our foot in our mouths at times. Last week a girl said to me how slow Feb had gone. Not thinking at all I said when you are pregnant they all go slow....She wasn't pregnant. I was so embarrassed and felt so bad!
I have never thought you have looked 'bad'! We always think worse of ourselves than others really do.

Macie's Momma said...

cudos alice, I like you before after in between and more!