Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Looking Back

On Bessie's funeral day I received word that my Aunt Jessie had died. She is my mothers sister. Kari and I went to her viewing last night in Midvale. I have to tell you that there were cousins there that I would not recognize if I saw them on the street, or anywhere else! There are a few that I knew, the ones we played with as kids and have seen at other funerals and weddings. But, there were some that I had no clue who they were. I feel bad that the family has been apart for so long. My kids didn't know any of the extended family that were from that side.
My mom had 12 brothers and sisters, so the families are all over the place. It's just that as kids we got to go visit and see them and it was great to know them. Now, I don't know them anymore. I felt bad as I walked through the line, I knew my cousins that were there and was glad to see them, but sad at the same time because they really don't know me either! Aunt Jessie didn't have kids, so she spoiled all of us when she would visit. She was little in stature but big in heart. I know that she appreciated the family that took care of her and watched over her home and belongings.
We are celebrating my mother and her twin- Aunt Myrts birthday on Saturday- They will be 80 on May 20th. There are only three of their family left. Their younger sister, Aunt Betty lives in St. George. I can see changes coming in our family, too. It's hard to see these things and not be able to do anything about them. I just hope that when the time comes I will know what to do to help my family through whatever happens.
I really hope that my kids and their cousins keep in touch and I hope that my grandchildren stay friends even after they are grown and moved away! They all mean more to me than I could ever say. I pray that they KNOW it!

4 comments:

AshnBraysMom said...

Oh my goodness, Aunt Jessie too??? Poor Grandma!

I've been thinking of "family" a lot lately too, and how important it is that we don't get too busy to stay close to each other. Since mom passed, I find that it gets tougher and tougher to stay in touch with extended family. Thanks for motivating me to do a better job at keeping my loved ones close.

Love you!

Kim

Grandma Duffy said...

Gosh! It seems to just keep pouring down doesn't it. Makes it hard on us. We watch loved ones go and we are sad and yet have to see that we are soon to be in their place. The oldest generation. It used to be lots a new babies and now it seems to be lots of funerals!
I love being able to be more in your life even if it is over the computer. I love you and still feel so close to you!

Leslie said...

Im so sorry about both Bessie and Aunt Jessie. It make my heart hurt. Family is everything. I love you and I hopr to see you on Saterday.

kino said...

It is sad that we don't know some of our family members as well as we should, I want to make it a goal to visit more relatives, and get to know everyone better, Tell your Mom happy birthday, I love her, and would like to see her again soon, maybe we could go sometime and take her out to eat. ok. anyway I am sorry to hear about your aunt she sounds like she was a wonderful person. love ya