Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend








We spent the weekend at the ranch for Memorial Day. We were cleaning and fixing fence for the cows that were being delivered. We had a lot of company during the weekend. It was great! We had some extra help that we really appreciated. We got some sage brush chopped down, quite a bit of trash gathered and burned, the metal separated and put in a pile for scrap, a new barrell fixed up for a burning pit, a new invention for the dutch ovens and for foil dinners! (The dinner cooked real well on the old bed springs that they found on the ranch) The weather was pretty chilly and rainy, but we had fun despite of it.

We got to know some new friends and got to visit with some old friends and relatives. It was a wonderful weekend.
Curt and I came down and went to church and put flowers on his mom's grave. It was hard to leave the ranch, but I'm glad we did.

We have new neighbors there... Brian and Kino put the trailer there that they and Stacie bought so that they can come visit when they want. Curt helped them get it set up so it is ready when they are. It's starting to look like a real commune! I guess we were raised in the hippie era... we fit right in!
I wanted to get pictures of everyone who came up, but I missed quite a few when we came home. Our friends from Montpelier came while we were gone and I'm sad we missed them. When we got home Monday there was a message from them. I hope we see them up there again. Jenny and Alan had 40 people for lunch that day! That was some pic-nic. They all said that it was wonderful. It worked out real well with us all chipping in on meals. Al and Jenns friends the Witts had some great food for us too. It is great when everyone helps out.
We have a lot of work left to do, but I have to say that it is fun work. When everyone helps it goes so much better.

Shane Hinck came up and gave us some pheasants for the ranch. We are excited for the wildlife. Curt and his dad saw deer and moose. We of course have the beaver in the ponds, ducks and cranes. I have only seen a few deer on the top of the ridge east of the camp. I hope the weather is better the next time, so that we can explore some more.
Curt said that they ranch was for raising grandchildren. I think he hit on a great idea. They were so tired and dirty when we got through, but not one of them was cross or complaining. It was so cool to see them all get along and have so much fun. They are going to be in the best shape from up there, they hike all over and have already made a secret grove! Cute Kids!
We have great plans and dreams. It will be good to see them come true.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Karen,
Sounds like you had a great weekend. No fighting or complaining, what's that like :) Who are your friends from Montpelier? I was actually born there and lived there until I was 5 or 6. My family still has friends there that we keep in contact with. Talk to you later!
Kate

gina said...

AAWWWWW.... I'm jealous! It looks like you had a blast! I hope we have fun this weekend too. What should I bring for food? love you!

kino said...

Thank you for the great time, I can't wait to get back up there it is addicting.so much fun for everyonel and those that don't want to do anything its fun to relax. I asked Shauntee i know I spelt that wrong but she didn't tell me what to bring. if you find out please let me know. I hope all goes well down here that I can come up even Brox wants to come back up so it is impressive. haha The kids had so much fun. I didn't even care it rained. love ya

Kandyce said...

WOW!! IT looks like you guys had so much fun. I look forward to being able to come up and seeing the place it looks wonderful in the pics.

Andrea said...

Looks like so much fun. Youguys are so lucky to have such a neat place. That was awesome that Tara got the mayors award she is so cute and fun, kenzie loves her