Saturday, May 3, 2008

Grandma Bessie



What can you say about a person who has been a big part of your life for over 36 years? That's about the amount of time that I have known this lady. I was dating Curtis and my first meeting was very intimidating. I was pretty shy around adults and I was totally unprepared to meet someone so straightforward and opinionated. It took me a while to get to know her for who she was and what she stood for. She helped me to can food every summer for my family. She sewed for my kids and taught me how to do my sewing better. She took care of my kids when I had emergencies and at other times when she could. She was invloved in Farm Bureau and got us started in it when we were young. She loved her children fiercely and wanted the best for them, no matter what! She eventually accepted me in to her family and was patient with the things that I did differently than her. She raised my husband to be the man that he is today, which I am so very grateful for. She will be missed in ways that may be totally different from anyone else in the family, only known to me, but she will be missed. I cherished the times I got to take dinner to her and visit while she ate. There were times when I didn't know if she would make it through another day, then she would rally and be great again. I felt for her when she would comment that she would like to either get better or die. Well, she got better! She is now preparing the places for her family to meet her again. She has left a legacy and I am a small part of it. Hopefully I can take what she taught me and pass it on to her grandchildren and great grandchildren. Wednesday will be our last good-bye and then it will be back to making life the best we can so that we will be able to meet her again and remember our times on earth! She took her next step and we need to follow the best we can!

7 comments:

Grandma Duffy said...

Yes, she was a little intimidating. But I liked her alot, too. I enjoyed running into her in stores and when I worked for the doctor's office. She would always speak to my mom at the senior center when they had lunch the same time. She really was a good lady. She was a big part of the Christensen family. She will be missed. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Macie's Momma said...

Thanks for all you did for gram! and for our family! love you

Wild Rasmussen said...

She will be missed! She is in a better place now and how wounderful it is that we well all meet again and be together forever

Kristen said...

I loved reading this post and getting a glimpse of your testimony and experiences.

AshnBraysMom said...

Aunt Karen and Uncle Curt,

I am so sorry for you loss. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

I love you!

Kim Baugh

Allyson said...

Thanks for holding me up and unloading the dishwasher so I felt like things were a little normal. I love you!

kino said...

Thank you so much for all you did for mom, I love you, you are a great sister, I will miss her terribly, but I need to be strong for Dad. I think about certain things during the day and cry, I know it will take time, that I don't cry as much, We need to stay strong as a family now, thats all she wanted was her family, and everyone to be included. thanks again. love ya