Saturday, February 16, 2008

On excerise and losing weight...

Being told to lose 30 pounds or not live to see my grandkids grow has motivated me to take care of myself. I never knew how much fun exercise could be. I haven't done well on the losing weight part (eating gets in the way of that). But, I am feeling a difference in the energy level. I took different classes at the gym this week to see just what ones I would like to stick with. I have to tell you, the instructors probably were honing up on their C.P.R. while they watched me turn beet red and sweat a river on the floor of the gym, thinking that they would have to revive me at any time! It challenged me, to say the least. I loved the way it made me feel to know that I could actually do some of the exercises. I guess old people can move, too! The first class was a body sculpting one. I thought my legs and arms were going to quiver right off. The next day I took a Yoga, Pilates mix. I decided the Sculpting class wasn't so bad after all! The next day it was called bits and pieces. A little of all styles... The yoga class wasn't too bad, then. The next day I did "Silver Sneakers" with all us older people... I actually made it through that one with enough strength to do a yoga class right after. ( These classes are geared at a slower pace, so it was pretty easy compared to the others) Saturday was Turbo Boxing... I thought this one was so fun, even though I didn't know the moves and couldn't keep up, it will be easier next time because I learned some of the steps. On the other day I just did the upper body strength and treadmill. I have to say that the staff at the gym are so nice and supportive. The other class members didn't even laugh at me (at least not out loud!!!) I really needed to find some strength in me, and this is helping. It does take a big chunk of time out of my day, I'm hoping I will see some more difference in the weight part soon. It took 55 years to put it on, I know now that it will take longer than a month to get it off! I may not be keeping up on the household stuff, it can wait until I'm in better shape and can do it all

2 comments:

Allyson said...

I think you look great! It was great talking with you today! I love to see you motivating others in our family! Health is SO important! I've learned that lesson over and over again! Lots of love! Ally

Cresta Lee said...

Hi! I just checked out your blog. It looks great. You always do creative projets beautifully. Don't be so hard on yourself for your weight. I know it's difficult to look around at others and qestion, "Why can't I look like that?" Or more realistically, "Why am I such a big cow? I hate my body" (which is something I swear I say on a daily basis), but sometimes you have to remember WHY your body has changed so much. I have three kids... My butt is bigger, my boobs are saggy, I have stretch marks and I have wide "birthing" hips. But I would NEVER trade a perfect body for the three little "reasons" I look the way I do. You have SIX good reasons for weight gain.(Well, Ok... 7 reasons if you count your exceptional cooking skills) And you still look good. I'm proud of you for exercising and your desire to be healthy. When you want to give up, remember... "KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE" (quoted from Violet's mom on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)and that will give you some extra motivation! Love you. Keep up the good work!-Creck